CALL OR TEXT YOUR QUESTION 562-881-9811
VA Home Loan Downey CA
Are you are a veteran, member of the military or military spouse? You may qualify for a VA Home Loan in Downey CA. VA Loans offer flexible options as either fixed-rate or ARM mortgages. You may qualify for fast approval and a hassle-free loan even with less than perfect credit. Refinance up to 100% of your home or buy a new home with no down payment and never pay monthly insurance (PMI)!
VA Loan Highlights
- 30-, 20- & 15-year fixed-rate and 5-year ARM loans available
- Jumbo VA loans available
- Refinance up to 100% of your primary home’s value
- VA Streamline Refinance with a reduced funding fee and flexible documentation requirements – available for veterans currently in VA loans
- Buy a home with no money down (primary home)
- No monthly PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance)
- VA loans are governed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
How VA Home Loans Work
- Fixed rate monthly payments are based on interest rate, principal loan amount and amortized interest over 15, 20 or 30 years. Your payment will not change throughout the life of the loan
- ARM interest rates are fixed for a period of 5 years. After the fixed rate period, your interest rate can adjust up or down depending on the market
- Pay your mortgage at any time without pre-payment penalties
- What is a VA Loan?
- Who Is eligible for a VA Loan?
- What type of home can I buy with a VA Loan?
- How do I apply for a VA guaranteed loan?
- I have already obtained one VA loan. Can I get another one??
- What are the benefits of a VA Loan?
- What are the negatives of a VA Loan?
What is a VA Loan?
The Veteran Administration’s Loan originated in 1944 through the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act; also know as the GI Bill. It was signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and was designed to provide Veterans with a federally-guaranteed home loan with no down payment. VA loans are made by private lenders like banks, savings & loans, and mortgage companies to eligible Veterans for homes to live in. The lender is protected against loss if the loan defaults. Depending on the program option, the loan may or may not default.
Who is eligible for a VA Loan?
- Veterans who were NOT Dishonorably Discharged, and served at least 90 days
- World War II – September 16, 1940 to July 25, 1947
- Korean Conflict – June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era – August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf War – Check with the Veterans Administration Office
- Afghanistan & Iraq – Check with the Veterans Administration Office
- Veterans Administration website www.va.gov
At least 181 days of continuous active duty with no dishonorable discharge. If you were discharged earlier due to a service-related disability you should contact your Regional VA Office for eligibility verification.
- July 26, 1947 to June 26, 1950
- February 1, 1955 to August 4, 1964, or May 8, 1975 to September 7, 1980 (Enlisted), or to October 16, 1981 (Officer)
- Enlisted Veterans whose service began after September 7, 1980, or officers who service began after October 16, 1981, must have completed 24-months of continuous active duty and been honorably discharged
Reserves and National Guard
- Certain U.S. Citizens who served in the Armed Forces of a government allied with the United States during World War II.
- Surviving spouse of an eligible Veteran who died resulting from service, and has not remarried.
- The spouse of an Armed Forces member who served Active Duty, and was listed as a POW or MIA for more than 90-days.
What type of home can I buy with a VA loan in California?
A VA home loan must be used to finance your personal residence within the United States and its territories. You have choices for the type of home you purchase:
- Existing Single-Family Home
- Townhouse or Condominium in a VA-Approved Project
- New Construction Residence
- Manufactured Home or Lot
- Home Refinances and Certain Types of Home Improvements
How do I apply for a VA guaranteed loan?
You can apply for a VA Loan with any mortgage lender that participates in the program. In addition to the application requirements from your lender, you will need the following at application time:
- Certificate of Eligibility from the Veterans Administration by submitting a completed VA Form 26-1880.
- Proof of Military Service from a VA Eligibility Center
If I have already obtained one VA Loan, can I get another one?
Yes, your eligibility is reusable depending on the circumstance. If you have paid-off your prior VA Loan, and disposed the property, you can have your eligibility restored again. Also, on a 1-time basis, you may have your eligibility restored if your prior VA Loan has been paid-off, but you still own the property. Either way, the Veteran must send the Veterans Administration a completed VA Form 16-1880 to the VA Eligibility Center. To prevent delays in processing, it’s advisable to include evidence that the prior loan has been fully paid, and if applicable, the property was disposed. A paid-in-full statement from the former lender or a copy of the HUD-1 settlement statement must be submitted.
What are the benefits of a VA Loan in California?
- 100% Financing & No Down Payment Loans
- No Private Mortgage (PMI)
- No Penalties for Prepaying the Loan
- Competitive Interest Rates
- Qualification is Easier than a Conventional Loan
- Sellers Pay Some of the Closing Costs
- Can be combined with additional down payment assistance to reduce closing costs
What are the disadvantages of a VA Loan?
- VA Loans made prior to March 1, 1988 can be assumed with no qualifying of the new buyer. If the buyer defaults the property the Veteran homeowner may be liable for the funds.
- Some sellers are hesitant to work with someone obtaining a VA Loan because it takes longer than a conventional loan to process.
- Sellers are often asked to pay a portion of closing costs and therefore less likely to negotiate the sales price of the home.
Got questions? Give us a call! One of our mortgage specialists would be happy to answer all of your questions and get you started with a great low rate today!
Working with Home Central Financial
- We put YOU first. We are committed to getting every client the very best possible deal every single time.
- Home Central Financial offers some of the most competitive rates in the Nation!
- Fast and efficient, we close most of our loans in 30 days or less.
- We offer a variety of loans. Home Central Financial will find you the loan that is right for you!!!